Student Discipline Policy - TAFE NSW
A policy for dealing with the conduct of a student that impairs the reasonable freedom of any person to pursue his or her studies, research, work or activities, or (b) the conduct of a student prejudicial to the management of the TAFE Commission or any part of it.
- 1.Objectives - Policy statement
That the TAFE Commission (TAFE NSW) may impose penalties (including pecuniary penalties) for breaches of discipline by students of TAFE NSW establishments.
- 2.Audience and applicability
The Student Discipline Policy applies throughout the TAFE Commission.
- A student commits a breach of discipline when the student engages in conduct that
impairs the reasonable freedom of any person (whether or not a student) to pursue his or her studies, research or work in TAFE NSW or on the premises of TAFE NSW or to participate in the activities of, or associated with, TAFE NSW, or
is prejudicial to the management of TAFE NSW or any part of it.
- The Student Discipline Mandatory Procedures – TAFE NSW
provide examples of breaches of discipline by students and may include other statements clarifying the meaning of breach of discipline.
set out the procedures by which TAFE NSW will deal with alleged breaches of discipline by students.
As noted in point 1.1, section 7 (1) (f) of the of the Technical and Further Education Commission Act 1990 says that TAFE NSW may impose penalties (including pecuniary penalties) for breaches of discipline by students of TAFE NSW establishments.
This policy exists in the context of other relevant legislation including:
- Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Technical and Further Education Commission Act 1990
- Crimes Act 1900
- Inclosed Lands Protection Act 1901
- Listening Devices Act 1984
- Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) Act 2000
- Summary Offences Amendment (Public Safety Act) 2002
- Weapons Prohibition Act 1998
- Workplace Surveillance Act 2005
- 4.Responsibilities and delegations
- TAFE Student Services is responsible for:
Providing support on the application of this policy and mandatory procedures.
Maintenance of this policy and mandatory procedures.
- TAFE Institutes are responsible for:
the effective administration and implementation of this policy and mandatory procedures.
- 5.Monitoring, evaluation and reporting requirements
- TAFE Student Services will:
monitor the implementation of this policy according to the guidelines in “Policy Development for Statewide Implementation”.
6.1 For TAFE NSW Students
Students should contact the nominated Student Discipline Delegate within their campus/institute of enrolment.
6.2 For TAFE NSW Staff
Institute inquiries regarding the implementation of this policy or its associated procedures should be directed to:
TAFE Customer Support Directorate
TAFE Student Operations
(02) 9244 5281
Document history and details
A/General Manager TAFE Operations
Web publication date
This policy replaces Student Discipline Policy V1.
It is the responsibility of the user to verify that this is the current and complete version of this document, located at:
https:/ / www.det.nsw.edu.au/ policies/ student_serv/ discipline/ stu_discip/ PD20020075.shtml
Reference No.: PD/2002/0075/V03